Monday, September 9, 2013

Leave well enough alone? Nah!

I don't know what it is about me and cooking... I just cant leave well enough alone I guess. I rarely, if ever, stick to a recipe I find. Most times, it's a hodge podge variety or recipes I smush together because I can't decide. Sometimes it ends wonderfully, sometimes it ends in yet another night of spaghetti.. tonight was pretty tasty and my tummy is uber happy. And it was easy.. bonus points! My boyfriend even liked it, despite his "finely tuned" pallette ;0)

Barley and mushroom casserole (vegetarian or vegan friendly)

1 small chopped onion
1 large grated carrot
12 oz bag of recipe-ready frozen mushrooms
2 cups chopped green beans
1 cup chickpeas
1 Tbs minced garlic
2 cups veggie broth (I used concentrate)
1 cup barley
1 tsp thyme
1 Tbs parsley flakes
2-3 Tbs oil or butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Sautee  onion in oil or butter until it starts to caramelize
Add carrot and garlic until it sweats, 2-3 minutes
Add mushrooms and thyme..they hold a lot of liquid so i cooked mime down 10 minutes or so to get all the flavors playing together nicely
Add the rest (peas and corn would be good too) and simmer covered on medium low for 30-45 minutes, until barley is tender to your preference. Make sure to check the fluid levels! Add water or more veggie broth if need be
Alternately, you can do this in an oven safe pan and bake like a casserole, 350 for about an hour, but I'm a control freak, and check on my food constantly, so stove top is much easier for me

No comments:

Post a Comment